Andy Murray, who’s on tour again Wednesday after a three-week hiatus due to an elbow injury, says he’s been told he’s eligible for the men’s Olympic tennis competition in Rio de Janeiro in September.
In an interview published in the Daily Mail’s Sport section Wednesday, the three-time U.S. Open champion said he was “really hopeful” of going after “much better results” after he failed to qualify for the Rio Olympics last year.
“I got to the Australian Open and couldn’t play anymore,” said Murray, who also dealt with a back injury. “They didn’t send a medical certificate to confirm my case was really bad or too bad to qualify.”
The Daily Mail said it was “a close call” for Murray. It said that after he became world No. 1 in 2015 he was considered a “very high-risk pick for the Olympics” because of the elbow injury, which required surgery last year, and a back injury.
Murray says he’s determined to put his rehabilitation behind him and try to play at the U.S. Open and London Olympics.